Saturday, April 9, 2011




HAIR WEAVE...WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT IT?...THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW





<-----Me With Weave


^Invisible Part


<----Me With Weave


^My hair is out @ the top



Hair weave has became an essential part of my life,because it's easier to manage and gives me a sense of beauty.Being a full time student, working at Federal Express, and being a mother, I barely have time for "me".Getting my hair done is something that I have always loved to do,but its hard going once a week or every so many days.When wearing weave the styles last longer and it causes less damage to the hair, such as excessive heat by curling and flat ironing.I can get a sew-in that could last a month or so depending on the quality of hair I use and how I keep the maintenance up on the hair.A sew-in is time consuming it could take around two hours,yet it lasts for months at a time.The hair is braided in circles around the head, and the weave is sewed in with a hair needle and thread.In order for the hair to stay presentable,for long periods of time, the hair must be of good quality.Remy Indian Hair is by far one of the best brands of hair,Indian hair appears to be healthy and thin and can be easily assumed to be my natural hair.Remy ranges from around 80 to 100 dollars, and most people use two packs,such as myself.At times I can not afford to buy Remy hair.I have to settle for that's not of good quality for that price that I can afford, hair weave is unequally delegated. Remy only suits those who can afford to pay for the advantages and the quality of Remy hair.


Remy Indian Straight & Wavy Hair





<-----A Sew In



In the Culture and Technology book Slack and Wise mentions how technology prescribes behaviors, attitudes, and values back onto humans (pg.119). When I wear hair weave I have a different attitude and I behave differently, as if the hair weave created something new."A French sociologist Michael Callon and Bruno Latour defines an actor as any element that bends space around itself, it makes elements depend upon itself,and translate their will into a language of its own(pg.118)." The book gave an example of bending space around itself, which was when a person walks down the street and sees a angry dog the person crosses the street.So that person bends space around the dog, who is the actor in this situation, by readjusting their route.When I wear hair weave I pick the color and texture that is closes to my hair color and texture,so that it can blend in with my natural when I leave some of my hair out.If I get an invisible part sew in I can pick any color hair I want because all my hair will be braided down.When I sweat my natural hair gets nappy as it does when it gets wet and no longer blends in with the weave.I work out doors therefore I have to bend my space around the weave by adjusting how hard I work. I have to alter my daily routines."Technologies make other elements dependent upon them. Technologies also depend on other elements (pg.118)."I depend on hair weave to give me confidence and make life more convenient.The hair weave depends on me to buy it,wear it, and take care of it like it was my own ."In terms of actor-networks,to translate means to alter the form of something to bring it into alignment with the technology system and culture (pg.119)." When I wear hair weave I give off the impression that I have a good grade of hair if its assumed to be mine natural hair.An that I spent alot of money on the weave if its assumed not to be mine.In that moment, the technology translate whats assumed about me into something different simply because of what I wear or how I wear my hair.Just as sentences are translated from one language to another to facilitate understanding, assumptions are products of what people understand or think they understand therefore, hair weave facilitates another meaning of what is assumed about me. Hair weave, in my opinion, is one of the best technological advances for women,because it allows women who have lost hair or their hair is hard to manage to have a second option to feeling and looking beautiful.












1 comment:

  1. I love it! Hair is everything I enjoy wearing weave. Weave changes my whole attitude. I feel beautiful, sexy, and confident when I get weave in my hair. It’s just like wearing a new pair of high heels all eyes are on you. Your right Nettea, “What will I do without weave?” I am so dependent on weave that I cannot walk out the house without having extensions in my head. Yes it’s possible for me to wear my own hair but there is nothing like weave. Not to mention, you don’t have to worry about combing it. lol

    ReplyDelete